At Discovery, we are a group of Christ followers,
and as such we hold to the core beliefs of the Christian faith.
Below you will find a statement of beliefs that we share with
other Mennonite Brethren Churches throughout Canada.
Statement of Faith
- We believe in God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that God revealed Himself in creation, through the Bible, and supremely through Jesus Christ, His Son. The inspired Word of God, the Bible, is our guide for faith and Christian living.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, is true God and true man.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God. By sinning, man broke fellowship with God, incurring physical and spiritual death upon himself and the entire human race. But Christ died for our sin, rose for our justification, and now lives to intercede for believers.
- We believe in God, the Holy Spirit, who convicts of sin, regenerates the believer, and guides and empowers for victorious living and dedicated service.
- We believe that all who put their trust in Christ receive the forgiveness of sin and are born again by the Holy Spirit as children of God.
- We believe that the Christian, through the power of the Holy Spirit, follows the Lord, giving evidence of the fruit of the Spirit and practicing love in all situations and relationships.
- We believe that the church is the body of Christ, consisting of all true believers whose supreme task is to make disciples through teaching, preaching and ministries of compassion. Believers minister to others through gifts endowed by the Spirit of God and help one another in the Christian life.
- We believe that Christians should be baptized in obedience to Christ’s command, and as a covenant expression of union with Christ in His death and resurrection.
- We believe that the Lord’s Supper (communion) expresses the communion of believers with one another and with Christ.
- We believe that God instituted marriage as a lifelong covenant between a man and a woman for the purpose of companionship, encouragement, sexual intimacy, and procreation. Children are gifts from God and should be nurtured by parents in the ways of God.
- We believe that God intended man to work diligently. He also set aside one day for rest and worship.
- We believe that Christians should always speak the truth and avoid oaths. (I affirm rather than I swear).
- We believe that because God instituted the state to maintain civil order, Christians should obey all laws not contrary to Scripture and pray for and witness to the authorities.
- We believe that Christians should avoid war and violence, and practice Christ’s law of love in all situations.
- We believe that Christ is coming again and will judge all men, punishing the unjust with eternal punishment and rewarding the just with eternal joy in heaven. Christ will establish a new heaven and a new earth where God will be all in all.